Let’s take a look at how Photoshop’s new AI feature will be able to help you in your day-to-day work:
- Magically leap from idea to image with a simple text prompt: Generative Fill is a magical new suite of AI-powered capabilities that enable you to add, extend, or remove content from your images non-destructively, using simple text prompts to achieve realistic results that will surprise, delight, and astound you—in seconds. Generative Fill automatically matches your image’s perspective, lighting, and style to make previously tedious tasks fun and deliver truly mind-blowing results.
- Create at a transformative rate: Generative Fill empowers you to create as quickly as you can type — experiment with off-the-wall ideas, ideate around different concepts, and produce dozens of variations in a snap. Quickly generate multiple image suggestions until you land on a variation you like. High-quality results, which previously took hours to create, are now produced in seconds, enabling you to spend more time honing your creativity.
- Unlimited creativity, coupled with the precise control of Photoshop: Generative Fill is natively integrated into Photoshop (beta), so you can explore freely while still maintaining complete control over your creative process and outputs, all inside the Photoshop app. The newly generated content is created in a generative layer, enabling you to exhaust a myriad of creative possibilities and to reverse the effects when you want without impacting your original image. Then, use the power and precision of Photoshop to take your image to the next level, surpassing even your expectations.
- Built on Adobe’s best — powered by Adobe Firefly: Create confidently, knowing that Generative Fill is powered by Adobe Firefly, the new family of creative, generative AI models designed to be commercially safe — ensuring you can push the bounds of your creativity confidently. Firefly is trained on Adobe Stock’s hundreds of millions of professional-grade, licensed, high-resolution images that are among the highest quality in the market. This helps ensure Firefly won’t generate content based on other people’s work, brands, or intellectual property.
- Together, let’s shape the future of Photoshop: Join the broader Photoshop community in shaping the tools Adobe is building to help supercharge your creativity. Download the Photoshop (beta) app or sign-up for the Firefly beta today, and let us know what you think.
We’re excited to continue to build on Generative Fill in the coming months and plan to bring it to most Photoshop customers by the end of the year.
Tips and tricks while using Generative Fill
Here are some tips and tricks to help you get the most out of using Generative Fill:
- Write an effective text prompt to get amazing results: Stick to simple and direct language and use 3-8 words that include a subject and descriptors. Don’t worry about adding commands like “add” or “remove”, instead just write what you want to see. For example, you can write a prompt that says “A house in the woods.” and if you want, add descriptive keywords ie; “ a red house in the woods”. Then click Generate to see multiple options.
- Use layers to edit your images non-destructively: When you click Generate, visuals based on your text prompt get generated on a new Generative Layer. You can then use layers in Photoshop to move and play with different images or objects until you make a composition you like. Combine several generated images to get an unexpected output easily.
- Make a selection that has enough pixels to extend your image: If you want to extend an image, select part of the image that will be referenced by the AI model to extend your image. Make sure you select enough of your image so the model can effectively extend your imagery with a result generated to blend in and make sense with the rest of your original image while increasing the dimensions of your image.
- Take your image even further using Photoshop: Once you generate a new image, bring it even closer to what you envision, by using all comprehensive tools in Photoshop to transform, edit, remix, or composite your image. Create anything you can imagine, all in the Photoshop (beta) app.
- Get inspired and inspire others: Take inspiration from the rich community of people who are also using Adobe Firefly and Generative Fill to complement their creations. Get new ideas for different styles you want to try or even ideas about how to write different prompts—Adobe Firefly Gallery, then share your creations to inspire others and take it forward!
The Photoshop (beta) app enables you to test apps, try new features and functionality, and share your feedback directly with Adobe. Learn more about the Photoshop (beta) app here.
To install the beta app on your desktop, visit the Beta apps tab of your Creative Cloud app and select Install next to Photoshop (Beta).
You may have a team or enterprise license for your account, and it is possible the ability to download Beta apps has not been abled. To enable this, contact the Admin for your account and check if they can enable Beta apps download for you.
If you don’t see an update next to Photoshop (Beta), you can manually look for the update in your Creative Cloud desktop app by going to the Updates tab and selecting Check for Updates.
The Photoshop (beta) app is generally available to Photoshop users.
Generative Fill in the Photoshop (beta) app is only available to users of at least 18 years of age with a Creative Cloud Individual license along with CC Teams, CC Enterprise, and our Educational customers.
For users under 18, Generative Fill is visible but disabled. Also, fornon-RGB 8/16 bits documents, the feature is visible but disabled. Hovering over the Generate button will show a tooltip explaining why the feature is unavailable.
Generative Fill is not available in China at this time.
Yes, Generative Fill is only available in the Photoshop (beta) app.
- High-quality assets: Generative Fill is powered by Adobe Firefly, a new family of creative, generative AI models that enables you to instantly use simple text inputs to generate extraordinary results.
- Community-involvement: It’s in the Photoshop (beta) app because we welcome our community to shape the tools Adobe is building with this transformational new technology.
- Designed to be commercially safe: You can create confidently, as Adobe Firefly is trained on Adobe Stock’s hundreds of millions of professional-grade licensed, high-resolution images, which helps ensure Adobe Firefly won’t generate content based on other people’s work, brands, or intellectual property.
- Setting the standard for responsibility: Through efforts like the Content Authenticity Initiative and Coalition for Content Provenance and Authenticity, Adobe stands up for accountability, responsibility, and transparency in generative AI. We’re working toward a universal “Do Not Train” Content Credentials tag that will remain associated with a piece of content wherever it’s used, published, or stored.